Aerochrome Look?

Kevin Reilly Oct 20, 2016

1. I tried to emulate the look in this video using Hue vs. Hue curves but couldn't quite get it down. Any ideas?

2. I would give LAB colorspace a try. Can't test it right now, but I think you could get pretty close with the right curve on the A channel.

3. Which look are you after, top or bottom?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Harris Charalambous likes this.
  4. It's a weird look, but bear in mind that there's information out there that explains how infrared film was used to create this look:

[​IMG]

When you understand the chemistry and dye layers, you can figure out a way to come close to this with video. To me, it's a weird cross-processing kind of look. I did some of those as a test a few years ago for Bob Richardson (for a movie that unfortunately was never made), and I learned a lot about how hard you can push film stocks in the wrong direction and get very interesting, unexpected results.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/201...-guide-to-the-confusion-of-lomochrome-purple/

5. Pretty sure I saw a video by Dan Moran about this look over at mixinglight.com I'll see if I can fish it out later!

6. Dan Moran

Dan Moran Original Member

The main secret is lots of smaller ranged keys changing the hue separately.

It's also lots of trial and error for each setup

If you try and do it all in one node it will never work as well

Marc Wielage likes this.
  7. Yes I have also done it the way Dan says with some pretty good results. What I seem to end up doing though is coloring the shot to taste for this look and adjust accordingly for other shots. Sometimes you might want a little more orange and sometimes less. I don't know if anyone is interested but I still have a piece I did in the late 90's that was shot on actual 35 mm aerochrome if anyone wants to see what it looks like I can put it up.

Benoit Cote likes this.
  8. What also seemed to work quite well for me in that short time that i played around with this was to swap green and blue channels. You can then try and softly key the skin and layer it on top and tweak the opacity of that layer and in the second layer input (the one with the swapped channels) you can tweak the hue of purple leaves with the hue vs hue curves. I'm sure this could all be done with channels. #channelshenanigans

9. Very interested. Please do!

10. The bottom one, though I'm curious how to achieve the top look as well. A friend shot some RED infrared OLPF test footage that was never graded so I figure thats the simplest way to pull the top one off (or something similar).

That would be amazing, thanks!!

Thank you!

I'll look into this. I'm still learning about the chemistry of film and how to reproduce the same effects on digital systems so it might take me a little bit to completely understand. Thank you!

I'll give it a shot!

11. The top one is an IR OLPF, the bottom, what Dan said...

12. That makes a lot of sense. I'll give this a shot!

Yeah, I figured. The top looked familiar. What about processing the IR OLPF?
    I've been reading this tutorial
    https://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-photoshop-basics
    Would one achieve the channel mixing step via the RGB mixer by moving the Red Output values to 0,0,1 and the Blue Output values to 1,0,0?

Or how exactly would I go about achieving that IR OLPF look (the one you posted)? Does it have somewhat natural looking skin tones? I wouldn't think the white looking foliage would result in that...

13. You mean a Magic LUT won't do it all? ;)

14. I didn't have to do any special processing working with the material shot with an IR OLPF.