Autodesk Flame Comes to OS X and Adds Subscription Licensing

Jason Myres Nov 4, 2015

1. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

Autodesk Introduces Monthly, Quarterly and Annual Subscription Options for Flame and Previews Flame 2016 on the Mac

SAN FRANCISCO, November 4, 2015 – Today, Autodesk is announcing new Desktop Subscription options for Autodesk Flame software. The new subscription pricing for Flame starts at $750USD per month and can be accessed annually for as low as $500USD SRP* per month. Autodesk also announced Flame support for OS X as part of the Autodesk Flame Extension 2 release, available late November 2015. Autodesk Flare and Autodesk Flame Assist software are now available as standalone products with monthly subscription prices, starting at $400USD SRP*.

*US pricing only. Actual prices may be determined by your reseller.

flame-pricing.001-660x371.jpg

Important news for the Flame Family:
    • New monthly, quarterly and annual Subscription options for Flame, Flare, Flame Assist and Autodesk Lustre
    • Unrestricted ability to purchase Flare and Flame Assist licenses with no requirement to own Flame software already
    • Customers may source their own qualified Linux hardware for Flame Family products
    • New support for Flame on OS X in addition to Linux and the announcement of the Flame Family 2016 Extension 2 release available later in November
    With these changes, Autodesk is evolving the entire Flame Family to meet the needs of a growing base of creative professionals including freelancers and smaller facilities that need access to powerful 3D visual effects and finishing tools to tackle tough jobs. The new subscription offerings provide a lower cost for facilities expanding their creative capabilities and for smaller studios and individual freelancers who work on a project basis. Autodesk plans to continue to sell perpetual licenses of Flame Family.
    • Early next year: sales of Flame as a turnkey system will discontinue.
    • Today: Flame will be available as a software only product. Customers can choose their own qualified Linux hardware.
    • Late November: license Flame on the Apple Mac OS X. Recommended configuration specifications for Flame running on OS X will be available soon.
    “The changes we are making allow us to continue to provide our Flame users with the tools they need to grow and transform their businesses, now and in the future, as well as to ensure that our business continues to serve them. With the new Flame business model, it’s never been easier for artists and studios to access these powerful tools they need for the high-end finishing their customers demand,” shared Marc Stevens, vice president, Film & TV, Autodesk . “Community feedback is vital to the future of Flame, and these changes reflect what our customers want; they’ll also allow us to meet the emerging needs of staff artists, freelancers and facilities by offering more choices, just like the rest of Autodesk.”

Flame Family 2016 Extension 2 Information
    Autodesk has also announced the upcoming Flame Family 2016 Extension 2 release that will be available to customers later this month. It brings new format support and stunning performance gains in color grading workflows. Lustre Reactor brings new GPU acceleration to color grading workflows and significantly improves performance when using blur, keying and softness controls for both preview and rendering operations. Other enhancements in Lustre include 32-bit floating point GPU rendering locally, via Shot Reactor and when using Autodesk background rendering software; performance enhancements when working with Open EXR source media with embedded mattes; UI support for high DPI monitors (4K); and new Print View and Print LUT support when using AJA SDI output. Across the Flame family of products, when importing media, artists can take advantage of new support the full DNxHR media family by using either QuickTime or MXF containers, as well as updated support for R3D media files including R3D SDK 6.0.3, allowing Flame to directly support the new Dragon 6K sensor and Rec 2020 color space. When exporting media, the extension supports Sony MPEG-4 Part 2 Simple Studio Profile (SStP) encoding in an MXF wrapper, supporting a variety of formats and presets.

Desktop Subscription Pricing and Availability

As of today, the 2016 versions of Flame, Lustre, Flare and Flame Assist are available for purchase as software subscription only through an Autodesk Reseller or Autodesk Sales Representative.

For more information, visit http://area.autodesk.com/flameunleashed

FAQ: http://area.autodesk.com/flameunleashed/customerfaq

For a detailed breakdown, see the FXGuide article on everything that's changed:

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/flame-unchained/

"In big news from Montreal, Autodesk announced that Flame on Linux is immediately available as a software-only subscription and that they will discontinue selling turnkey hardware systems early next year. In addition, Flame is coming to OS X at the end of November, joining Flare and Flame Assist on the Apple platform. And finally, Flare and Flame Assist will be available for purchase by anyone who wishes to use the application — not just Flame owners."

2. Only subscription!

3. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

This entry in the FAQ clarifies the new pricing structure a little more:

You now have more options when it comes to purchasing Creative Finishing software from Autodesk:

1. New monthly, quarterly and annual Desktop Subscription plans have been introduced.

− Monthly Desktop Subscription to Flame starts at $750* providing a more cost effective solution for peak usage requirements and for freelancers.
    − Annual Desktop Subscription plans offer and additional 33% savings compared to a monthly plan (equivalent to $500*/month).
    − There is no Desktop Subscription for Flame Premium. Instead you can “build your own” combinations of Flame, Lustre, Flare and Flame Assist.
    − Flame Desktop Subscription plans are not be available on the e-store and must be purchased from an Autodesk sales representative or authorized reseller.

2. You can purchase perpetual licenses for Flame, Flame Premium, Lustre, Flare and Flame Assist. The price of these perpetual licenses remains unchanged.

3. You can also purchase or renew Maintenance Subscription for your Flame, Flame Premium, Lustre, Flare and Flame Assist licenses. The price of maintenance subscription remains unchanged.

4. For a limited time, you can purchase software upgrades to the current version of either Flame Premium, Flame and Lustre
    (see next question).

5. Autodesk Flare and Autodesk Flame Assist can now be purchased without the requirement to have previously purchased a
    Flame license.

6. All products are sold as software only. Red Hat licenses must be purchased separately.

* All prices indicated are US Suggested Retail Prices (SRP). Regional pricing may vary. Actual prices are set by resellers.

4. This will completely allow me to go freelance, with a distinct difference in my market with no other Flames in the entire state besides the facility I currently work for.

5. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

When you say freelance, do you mean building a system of your own, and then hiring that out to go along with you and your artist rate? Do you think you'll do a yearly subscription or go month-to-month?

6. I currently work for a large in-house production company that does not do any outside work. I have been planning to build a small finishing house in partnership with a bunch of local production companies trying to up their quality, but can't/don't want to go to the west coast for color and finish. I use flame everyday and when I get asked on side projects if I can do a shot, my first reaction is always "oh, yeah super easy" then I realize I don't have access to Flame and then have to figure out some cobbled together way to do it. I would probably do a year sub with a Z840. I was learning/using Nuke Studio in recent projects but by far prefer Flame. The realtime work of flame even at 4k and above is just so much better. (though Nuke 9 is better then it was)

7. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

Actually, it looks like perpetual licenses at the standard rates are still available, so I changed the title of the thread. They do say though, that they will discontinue selling turnkey systems at the beginning of next year. I have a feeling this is going to create an interesting situation as Flame installation is already a quite involved, and will probably get even more interesting as people start experimenting with different hardware.

8. Wow, only $18,400 a year to run the whole suite! That's a bargain. Well, it would be if it included people and hardware.

9. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

That sounds like a great idea, especially if you've already established a customer base that has opportunities for you outside of your current gig.

10. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

It's $500 a seat per month. No one is going to buy all four just for themselves. That would be redundant. They'll have artists using each one, and if they know what they're doing they'll make that fee back in one afternoon.

11. To clarify for Marc and anyone else:

Flame is the big kahona: it's got everything. Your timelines, your conforms, your batch, your action, your trackable meshes, your 3d keyers, your midgets on scooters.
    Flare is flame minus the timeline. It's got your batch, your action, your warps, your keyers, your goats on meth.
    Flame Assist is basically what smoke was. It's your timeline, your conform, most of batch, most of action, your outputs, your fishtanks filled with jello.

If you've got flame, as a single op, you don't need flare or flame assist. If you're getting flare and flame assist (which loads of people presently run on mac) well you can just get a single flame instead. If you're a multi seat studio, and you want to have a master flame station and some conform support and some vfx support, then you might do a flame seat and a flare seat and a flame assist seat.

In other words, it's not a suite, they're sub products. And I suspect AD will shift strategy on that again soon enough.

Adam Hawkey and Jason Myres like this.

12. Perpetual licensing will only be available until January.

13. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

What's happening with perpetual licenses has been a little confusing. I was going by this from Studio Daily...

Unlike Autodesk's other software products, Flame will also remain available under a perpetual license for some time. "We have no intention to stop selling perpetual licenses [for Flame]," Autodesk Senior Product Marketing Manager Marc Hamaker told StudioDaily. That $6,000 annual subscription price is "about one-tenth of the price of a software-only perpetual license," he said.

And by this on the FAQ...

Autodesk will not stop selling perpetual licenses of its Creative Finishing software on February 1st 2016. However, we will phase out software upgrades on July 1st 2016. Customers wishing to remain current with a perpetual license should upgrade it before that date. However, should you wish to remain current, it will be more cost effective for you to purchase a Desktop Subscription plan than to upgrade older versions of your software.

I think what you're referring to on January 16th is the end of "turnkey systems", as in systems Autodesk builds for customers. After that customers will need to be prepared to build their own.

Then on July 1st, software upgrades for perpetual licenses will end, even though they will be keeping perpetual licenses around for those that are subscription averse. It seems pretty evident they want to get everyone on yearly subscriptions, since as they mention, it's cheaper in the long run, and you'll no longer have the option to upgrade an out-of-date system. Overall, I think that's the end game; giving customers a choice of either perpetual or subscription licensing, but creating a strong monetary incentive for shops to stay current by going subscription.

14. I got an email this morning about perpetual licenses for Smoke being unavailable after January and figured that applied to Flame too. My bad. Flame is on its own timeline.

15. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

Smoke licensing has been painful. My hope is that they give Smoke users some sort of discount to move to Flame/Flame Assist on OS X.

16. It’s a very interesting development. I wonder how it will affect the user support.

Also, given that Smoke became its own ecosystem recently, I wonder if there will be any incentive for anyone to actually invest in it anymore.

17. Ya gotta wonder: why not just say that in the price list?

On the plus side: I can remember when an Inferno was $450K in the late 1990s (with hardware). So maybe this is a bargain.

18. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

Because that price list is from FXGuide where everyone knows what Flame, Flame Assist, and Flare are.

19. If you have to ask for a price, you probably can't afford it.

20. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

That only applies to Pablo, Baselight, and Mistika now :)