Can anyone deconstruct this look?

Ole J Larssen Jan 4, 2017

1. Anyone have a clue of how they are getting to this look? I see blue shadows, warm greenyellowish hightlights. Especially im wondering how they achieve the wonderfull brownish very even skintones?

Look_10.jpg Look_09.jpg Look_08.jpg Look_07.jpg Look_06.jpg Look_05.jpg Look_04.jpg Look_03.jpg Look_02.jpg Look_01.jpg

2. It's also very lifted and there's some glow added to the highlights, if I'm not mistaken. It looks to me like a lot of mixed lighting, but it's hard to say without seeing the original uncorrected files.

3. First off I will start with: That commercial is beautifull, at every stage of the production!

Some of the blues is set design. Notice how many blue books there is in the library.
    I have a feeling people tend to underestimate set design theese days.
    Its not like the colorist graded all those books to be blue (well, cant be 100% sure, but im pretty sure).
    What the colorist has here I think, is to gather all the blues into one hue. And that hue is the deep ocean blue here.
    A lot of the Blue and Orange looks, comes from set design of blue and orange lightning and on set props.
    Then in post, cleaning up the shades of blue and orange into a cleaner hue signal.
    In a way, you actually decrease the color palette! This way there is a larger contrast between the colors.

There is also as Marc pointed out some glow to the highs, and also a small push to orange on the highs.
    Also, its very lifted in the lower end. It has absolute blacks, but thats only the lowest blacks. Almost everything in norway, comercials and drama, has that lifted blacks look.
    Thats why the drama series "Aber Bergen" was a nice watch in my opinion. They didnt care about those shadow details at ALL, it gave a new and in my opinion refreshing look.
    If you havent seen it you should check it out Ole! :)

When it comes to the skin its hard to say exactly what they have done. I work with Resolve and what I usually do is to use a qualifier on them, then split the signal into two nodes, Skin and Backround. Then i work with them separate untill im happy with both. Saturate the skin, then gather its hue into a smaller signal, then desat it to taste. And then lastely, mix them together again with a Layer mixer node.

I will post two images from something I am working at right this very moment. Here I have been using the method I described over.
    1.jpg 2.jpg

Notice the set design on the blue pillow in the second shot. That pillow alone makes a lot of difference, and stuff like that is not done in grade.
    Only thing I could wish for was one or two books in picture number 1 to be blue, and maybe that the painting at the sculpture had some blue in it.
    But notice how much that blue light from the window gives to the image. And thats also under set design.
    Have in mind that I have not pushed any shadows to blue in my final look. I pushed it a little bit to blue when I was balancing the shot, extracting the blue out of it early, separated it and gather its hue.

I hope some of all my poorly written mess, somehow gave you some assistance :p

TLDR: A lot of looks are created with set design, dont underestimate set design! :D

4. I think set design is totaly disregarded. Everibody just thinks of cameras, lenses and grade. Forgeting about production.

5. I also give a lot of credit to the DP. When they really, really do their jobs well, it makes the grading 90% easier. That plus great production design and great makeup really help the color department.

6. Ole J,
    it seems are you a novice? There is a lot of YouTube tutorials on how to create teal-orange looks using masking to keep skin tones. Using Resolve it is very simple.

But, also please note, that most color look is created by scene artists to make great color contrast in the recording. For example, in
    Eivind Siegel Haukeberg' samples there is a blue pillow to contrast with a head.

Or you asking about something special style?