Dark Theme Available

Jason Myres Dec 5, 2016

1. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

The dark theme is available again for anyone who'd like to use it.

To enable it: Login to the forum. Hover over your User Menu at top right and click Preferences.

User Preferences.jpg

Choose the XenFracture theme in the Style Menu.

Note: the default style is the light theme. If you are logged out, the forum will switch to the light theme. Once you login, it will switch back to dark again.

Choose Theme.jpg

Also, as an experiment, we've enabled the new post indicators (LED icon) for each sub-forum. If everyone likes this feature, and it helps you find new content, we'll enable it on the the light theme as well.

2. Thanks, Jason! I was just about to send you a PM on the ETA on this. :grin:
    It's much easier on the eyes - any reason why the dark theme isn't the default?

Jason Myres likes this.
  3. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

Because most people like the light theme. The dark theme is easier on your eyes in low light, but for many it's harder in normal light, which is where a lot of people read the forum. There are endless studies that show most people prefer dark text on a light background (like a book) when reading large amounts of text. It's also generally accepted that lighter sites are more welcoming to new users, so given all that, the light theme is the default, with the option to switch to a dark one if you prefer it.

Ryan Nguyen likes this.
  4. I have now switched over to the Dark Side.

5. Luke I'm you Mother.

6. Jason, I hope this isn't a dumb question, but how can I 'like' a post, using iOS?

Thanks

Edit: after installing the dark theme I could see the 'like' button again. Dark rules.

Ryan Nguyen and jamie dickinson like this.
  7. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

If you can't see the Like button on a small screen, rotate your device 90 degrees, and the extra screen width will allow all of the buttons to be visible. The Dark theme does seem to give you text buttons for Like/ Quote/ Reply, where the light theme doesn't, so I'll see if I can make it the same for both.

Pepijn Klijs likes this.