1. I just watched a piece of the new HBO movie Normal Heart, and I saw grain all over that. Wasn't sure if it was actually shot on film or if grain was applied, but it was definitely there. <seconds pass> Ah, shot on film according to IMDB, which I know is director/producer Ryan Murphy's preference.

See, we're getting to the point where I can no longer tell if something was really shot on film, or just shot digitally with grain applied. At least, not on a home-sized screen.

2. I'm grading a feature (shot in RED) for cinema, which has a few scenes where I applied a strong "aged-footage" look. The director is asking me to enhanced it and add grain to it.
    I'm aware of the "scanned grain plate" method, but I wanna go the plugin way: being used to do this operation very often in Nuke, where one has the control over intensity, regularity and size of the grain, as well as the capability to handle its amount on the different channels, I'd love to have a similar tool within Resolve. That led me to FilmConvert.

My question is: do you guys know of any other alternative? just for the sake of comparison.

3. Juan, for my two cents, the big advantage of a piece of grain footage (artfully blended) is SPEED. FilmConvert (and other plugins) are nice & versatile, but blending another layer is usually faster, as in real time playback vs. Non-real time playback. Your milage may vary based on original footage & system specification.

Good luck.

Marc Wielage likes this.