How to Remap Color Tools on the Precision Panel Touchscreen

Harris Charalambous Sep 12, 2016

1. For those of you that would like to move your controls around on the Precision Touch Screen here is how you do it.

First a big thanks to Adam Hawkey for deciphering the code after my repeated attempts of not being able to figure how to move the Contrast controls onto the main tool pages from their individual tool pages so we don't have to jump to the Brightness/Contrast tool every time you want to adjust your S-Curve or any other tool for that matter.

I've also attached my Toollayout file which has a couple of other goodies (some renaming in the Brightness Region Tool) along with a new Master Page in LGG, Color Curves, Balance and SOP which contain Printer Lights, Density on the top row along with S-Curve, Pivot and Contrast Soften on the 2nd Row.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-2BBYCb54lyT2NvYkRFcGkwLWs

Now if we could just have Offset along with Density mapped to the 4th Trackball on the above tool pages then jumping between tools would not only be further reduced but we could essentially jump directly to the tool of choice instead of going to SOP just for the offset controls.

How to do it:
    Essentially you need to call the tool by using # Then the Name of the tool and then the function.
    i.e "#BrightnessContrast/contrast/red+2" etc

On a side note the Group command creates the orange Highlight you see on your Touch Screen (2016.1) and also puts in the name of the group on across the group of those controls. The Page " "{} command inserts blank pages so you create spacing between your pages on the touch screen.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Harris,
    I've been thinking... To accommodate everyone with the new mappings, I'm moving all the additional pages for each specific tool to the end of each tool's original mappings. For example, on the Balance tool, I would put "Master" group at the end (and therefore on the upper right). The you could just add "primary" to whichever tool you want to be default.
    This accomplishes a few things...
    1. Makes easier to merge when upgrading to a new version.
    2. People that have muscle memory of where the tools were can still use them as they always had.

-Adam

3. Adam, that's a good idea and would be helpful for the guys that have been on the Precision panel for a long time.

Since I don't have that much muscle memory locked in on the touch screen controls, I've been tweaking my mapping and have moved additional controls into the main tools like Balance, LGG, Color Curves etc. I've placed them all on the left column in order of importance from top to bottom.

I've also settled on SOP being my first Default tool as it's the only way to currently access Offset.

If I could have offset in Color Curves and in Balance then it would be really easy and fluid to do quick grade with roll off or no roll off with just one of these two tools.

I'd also like to play around with the tools order and mapping of the second screen on the color panel. Hopefully this week...

4. Harris,
    Admittedly, I've never actually graded with SOP, but my understanding is that the "Offset" control is mathematically identical to both "Lift" in LGG,
    as well as "Printer Lights". So this seems counterproductive to me. I suppose if you actually grade with SOP, it may feel different due to the order
    of operations within the tool. I just don't see it being any different than using the Balance tool, with Printer Lights (for Offset). Perhaps you'll need to
    show me what you mean some day...

Adam

Harris Charalambous likes this.
  5. There is a lot of overlap between various tools and on top of that they act differently, depending on the setting being log or video. The best way to see the differences and similarities is to use Ramp with those tools. At least for me, using Ramp, the difference and similarities between controls became immediately apparent. And then there is using a sandwich for Log-Lin-Log transforms;)

6. Does the Precision panel have Printer Lights on a Ring/Trackball? The Valhall didn't and so I use SOP primarily.

7. Unfortunately it doesn't.

I find it quicker to use the trackball for offset but I do like using the number pad when the material is consistent as I find making distinct adjustments to each channel cleaner (or maybe it's just an illusion..)

Matthias, in general what is your order of operations?

Adam Hawkey likes this.
  8. On the panel you mean? Right now I'm having to work on an Elements, and I've changed the mapping quite substantially on that, including things that the mapper application doesn't expose (the reset buttons). SOP is the default control on it. All my projects are in log mode and so I use Offset for density and Slope for gamma in film negative terms. It's rare that I use anything else in the base layer.

9. Can you expand a little on remapping unexposed buttons?

10. Fake keypress in the Mapper?

11. Not if they unexposed:)

Harris Charalambous likes this.

12. I've been going back and forth and currently my workflow is

SOP then Color Curves in the Base layer to set density and clean blacks, whites as needed. Then build on top of that in the subsequent layers.

13. On the Base Layer I use good 'ole Brightness/Contrast/Pivot with Brightness Regions to clean up blacks and whites. I use Color Curves on the next layer, if needed. Baselight's Film Grade is very similar to that Base Layer operation, except they cleverly manage to combine an equivalent of Brightness Regions with Color Curves by using multiple pivots. said that, Nucoda's Brightness Regions is a bit more precise and flexible in comparison to Baselight. So, it's speed vs precision...

14. Nice. I put in a base contrast adjustment with reduced softening as a default then add to it with SOP.

Flimgrade is a nice, quick combination of some of Nucoda's tools. Also part of my inspiration for having more tools exposed on the Precision panel within a particular tool :)

Now the question is which operations is Baselight processing in which order within Filmgrade. Can it be changed like in Nucoda?

15. They both have a bit different approach, with either one having very solid solution without necessarily one being better, than the other.

16. The mapping that you save is an xml file somewhere in AppData/Tangent (I'm not in front of it right now but it is easy to find). It has the name you give it. In it are all the panels, modes, banks (>65000 lines). All the buttons are there, including the ring/ball reset on the Tk and Mf panels. With a text editor that can multi-line search/replace you can efficiently edit the assignments.
    Coming from Valhall, I use the left Mf reset for Compare Toggle, the right Mf reset for Compare Wipe Flip (or whatever it is called) and alt+reset for Compare Wipe Reset.

17. Can you have two tools open at the same time like SOP and ColC?
    What I miss about the Valhall (among many others things) was the ability to edit one colour tool plus one isolation tool simultaneously. An obvious improvement would be combining tools at will so as to adjust SOP.Offset and ColC.Black together.

18. Hey Matthias, I somehow missed your post. You can kind of do this but not to the extent that you or I for that matter would like.

Basically you can have the knobs on the Precision have any controls from any tool you like (color curves) but the trackballs and rings are locked to the default tool (SOP) that you are in

Also on the Precision Color panel the second display can be used to show the ISO tools. I believe you can change it to show the color tools as well but I believe if you do they show the same page of tools instead of an extension or a second page. But this is something I have been thinking about trying but haven't had a chance to test yet.

Truthfully, what I really want is pivot points for Color Curves as Brightness regions doesn't roll off nearly as smoothly in the Deep Shadows or Bright Highlights.

Matthias Tomasi likes this.
  19. I've been looking more into Brightness Regions in order to set up a mega color tool. The idea is to do density, contrast, and log black from one set of trackballs. By expanding the midtones region and center spread to max I can get it to include the entire tone range and thus an equivalent to offset. Unfortunately the values are limited so it is not quite a constant (horizontal line). On a perfect Nucoda we'd be able to set the width to infinity or even *gasp* draw the brightness regions by hand. But even with the way I have it now the falloff at the top and bottom is only 4 percent. Most log encoded brightness values are well within that.

Attached Files:

Adam Hawkey likes this.
  20. Hey Matthias,

This is very interesting. When you say Log Black are you referring to Balance tool Blacks? I did a similar experiment but I tried it using Highlights in Brightness Regions and expanding the region as far as possible but of course it doesn't cover the whole region. I thought about your idea.

It's a fun experiment trying to balance an image using the different tools and seeing which version gives you a cleaner image and ideally gets you there without a lot of bouncing around between tools. The remapping has certainly helped greatly with this.

I'm curious how you are using Offset, are you setting skintones, overall balance or blacks? Also is your contrast linear or an S-Curve? I find that Offset doesn't respond as well for me when using an S-Curve.

My SOP tool currently has the regular mapping on the trackballs then I have RGB Offset (for times when I need to be more precise) and Offset Density, along with Sat In on the top row of knobs. Then Contrast, Contrast Pivot, Contrast Soften, along with Brightness and Sat Out on the second row of knobs. That is my primary touchscreen page on SOP. I also have White and Black Soft Clip (Adams Suggestion) on the two other pages so between the SOP, Brightness Regions and Color Curves tools I can get a lot done.

I plan to change the Hue Curves mapping this week and organize them by Hue, Sat and Luma instead of by individual color. Hue and Sat can sit on the same page so this should speed up shifting a multiple colors Hue and Saturation. I'll post it here and on the group when its done.

Regarding Brightness Regions, my dream would be if we could save default pivot points for each tool within the Grading UI. I'd also love it if Brightness Regions had Saturation and Contrast per region. And of course if Color Curves had pivot points too.... :)

I've been meaning play with reorganize the color tools processing order. I'm thinking of moving Brightness Regions up before Balance and Color Curves and also putting BrightnessContrast before Brightness Regions. Have you played with this at all?

Matthias Tomasi likes this.