LGG new look (finding new posts)

Ken Sirulnick Nov 29, 2016

1. Just curious and I apologize if this has been discussed as I was away last week, but this new look is a bit more difficult to see updated and non updated threads. Is that just me?

2. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

Do you remember which new post indicator you used to look for? I tried to bring over all of the settings we used in the old look, but may have missed something.

One thing the new forum does differently is show only the latest posts per thread in the New Posts sidebar on the front page. In the old forum, every single new post would appear in chronological order. I believe the reason this was implemented was to keep hot threads from dominating the sidebar, covering up new activity in other, lower-traffic threads. By sorting this way, you see activity from a wider variety of threads, regardless of how hot or cold they are.

If you want to see whats new since your last visit, click on New Posts at the top of the front page (make sure you're logged in):

On the New Posts page you'll see a black bar; above the bar are new posts since your last visit; below the bar are new posts you haven't seen during any visit. If you want to reset the new posts counter entirely, click Mark Forums Read.

Most of the members I've spoken with generally scan the Recent Threads and New Posts sidebar, but the new sorting does change the nature of what's displayed. I can see if we can change back to the purely chronological display order, but would like to try this sort order for at least a week or so, as once we get used to it, it might actually turn out better.

Marc Wielage likes this.
  3. I think for me, it is the white background more then anything else that makes it more difficult to see. The black interface seemed easier to see the bold new posts.

4. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

The dark theme is installed, but needs some remaining changes and will be available by the weekend. I'll also verify the bold highlighting for updated threads. It might not be enabled. I'll post an update once everything is done.

5. Cool, thanks Jason. The dark theme should help. Also, better for keeping LGG forum open in the grading suite :)

6. Interesting that everybody is missing the black theme. I never new it even existed and didn't find anything wrong with the white theme...:D

7. I liked the dark theme. I also noticed that the quote and like buttons aren't on the Android website version. Fantastic work though, we're all lost with LiftGammaGain.com! :)

8. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

We originally started with a dark theme back in 2013, but after talking with some people, realized that it was harder for them to read under normal conditions. There are also a lot of studies that say sticking with dark text on a light background is preferred by most people, but I agree that having the dark theme in a color bay is really helpful.

9. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

They're there :) you just need to rotate your phone 90 degrees, and they'll have the space required to display correctly.