NAB Live Stream: Steve Scott on the Revenant - 10AM PDT TODAY

Jason Myres Apr 20, 2016

1. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

Steve Scott Revenant.jpg

Autodesk will be live streaming Steve Scott's color grading breakdown on The Revenant today at 10AM PDT. He'll be reviewing shots taken directly from the film showing the incredible amount of color, keying, and roto work he and a number of other artists at Technicolor did on what is arguably the most complex DI ever completed. The film was shot on Arri ALEXA and ALEXA65, and graded in Lustre, with a large amount support from VFX and conform artists working in Flame.

Starts in less than one hour! Check it out here...

http://area.autodesk.com/nab2016

2. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

3. I missed it. Was it interesting enough to try to track down a recording of it later?

4. Today:
    2:00 PM(PDT) Autodesk Vision Series│Color Management, Grading and HDR

Jason Myres and Andrew Webb like this.
  5. Thank you both.

6. Note these videos are downloadable if you use a 3rd party tool like OffLiberty. Good stuff here, and congrats to Autodesk for a great show.

7. Thank you Jason for posting it!

One thing I didn't quite get - did he say that the entire Lustre UI can be up on the output screen? I understand that he can zoom into the pixels (same as GPU readback on Nucoda) but I'm not clear if he can show the events thumbnails like this as well.

8. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

Yes, if you press F7, Lustre will send the entire interface to your reference monitor or projector. You can then use other key commands to hide or expose different parts of the interface depending on what you want to display, for instance TAB hides the Thumbnail Storyboard, SHIFT hides the color tools UI, Q expands the Storyboard to a fullscreen gallery view, etc.

Its a nice way to quickly show or hide what you need to when clients or your team are in the room to discuss how shots are being handled, or to see the progression in the current grade.

9. Good watch, thanks Jason.

10. Steve Scott's presentation was in the top 3 things I saw at the entire show. Really impressive work.

11. Those were the most impressive and precise looking mattes I had ever saw done in color grading. They clearly were not the product just utilizing some kind of tracking, but they were manually keyframed and beautifully articulated. Going down to the pixel level to dig out a quarter point of magenta? Wow...

12. Yes, it's a great tool for removing magenta pixels from pure white winter landscapes..
    And to their credit, Steve and Chivo drill down very deep!

Jason Myres likes this.
  13. Now up on YouTube:

Jason Myres likes this.