(one of the) Jean Clément Soret look

Paul Champart Sep 29, 2016

1. the look in this specific case happen after the main lut/scurve.

it could be either curves, keys plus correction or gamma, whatever works, i tend to keep it to a minimum.

2. It's fun to watch French and Italian trying to communicate in English:D

Adam Hawkey and Walter Volpatto like this.
  3. amusing? :)

Adam Hawkey likes this.
  4. Thanks for the insight Walter, lots of good info in there!

5. Amusing only when the Russians jump in.

6. It's Ukrainian, thank you very much:p

7. If you have to do NR i would consider putting some grain back to it after NR node to neutralise plasticity that Walter mentioned.
    With some NR tools you can give some sharpness back and then add grain on top of it making it look more organic to me.

Just an idea that may help.

8. Totally agreed on this one.

i was doing some restoration on a 1990 movies and the opticals and vfx where not the greatest, and the most difficult thing to do was actually make the grain similar shot to shot...

9. You'll be Russian again soon...

(I apologize, it is a kind of dark humor...)

Andrew Webb likes this.
  10. Well, that innocent bunter took an ugly turn pretty quickly...

Andrew Webb and Walter Volpatto like this.
  11. I was just trying to have fun, no offense taken and I hope no offense given either.

jake blackstone likes this.
  12. Is that really a language? I honestly didn't know! (Kind of like when I found out there were eight different dialects of Chinese in China.)

13. BTW, let me say that neither Walter nor Jake have that much of an accent speaking English at all. I am often amazed at our colleagues in Europe and the Far East who speak extremely good English, far better than most Americans can speak any other language.

Walter Volpatto likes this.
  14. It's as much a distinct Slavic language as Polish, Czech, Bulgarian, Serbian, Croatian, Belarusian or Russian. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more:)
    Also, Ukrainian, beside having a different language is a different nationality from Russian as well...

Marc Wielage and Walter Volpatto like this.
  15. And some really bad stuff that have happened there now ....

16. I'm sure all ex-Soviet Baltic Republics look at what is happening now in Ukraine with some great trepidation.
    But, I think, we're way off the original subject now...

17. Sorry to reopen the thread I found really interesting the workflow you exposed for working but I have some questions:

1- Like Razvan said, how will you aproach secondary correction( not curves ;) ) for example to do a qualifier since It's suposse to be better do It after nomalization because You'll have more contrast color information for the isolation( I think we can also apply this to tracker but I'm not sure). I'm losing something?

2- I also would like to know how you aproach when working in a more different scenes scenario(feature film). You do It in groups instead of timeline and work different looks? I have been lurking for this answer around but in general books and courses focus a lot in one scene grading not in a more different mood/scene scenario.

Qiang Tang likes this.
  18. 1) i don't. because I restrict myself to work before the lut, I deal with it.
    and I rarely do secondaries: if you find yourself do a lot of them, I think the main balance is off then.

2 ( so far) I was never in a position where I needed two different luts/looks, probably yes I will split them in two groups and use them as matter look.

you can also have a simplify LUT/look and add the extra component in a group or as last node in the shot.

I usually do a static node tree so most of my nodes have a lpurpuse.

Bram Baas and Qiang Tang like this.

19. Thanks Walter for the advice :)