Slow times - what do you do?

Discussion in 'Business' started by Ola Haldor Voll, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Ola Haldor Voll

Message Count:
    I've hit a big bubble of 'no jobs in sight'.
    Being a month+ since I touched DaVinci for a job, I'm about to go crazy.
    Been in touch with a few, but haven't gained any work from it.

I know I gotta push on and sign a deal, but it gets tiresome doing it day and night four weeks straight.

So what do you do? What do YOU do?
  2. Fateh Shams

Message Count:
    Hi Ola,

What is your location?

We don't have grading work for you right now, but If you can travel to Gothenburg for a project, send me email, we can have chat with our post producer and have you in our color grader list.

fateh@shootpost.se
    Tine Woren likes this.
  3. Gabriele Turchi

Message Count:
    it might be " the everybody have resolve now effect " ... big clients still needs pros off course , but i had typically quite some minor jobs here and there that now somehow find who will work on it very cheap (aka :kids or editors with resolve ) , again talent and room etc.. still is the main thing that matters for REAL work , but plenty of small things (music videos with little money , smaller indie project etc.. ...now they grade themselves in resolve ...)
  4. Jason Myres Moderator

Message Count:
    I spend all of my spare time networking, marketing, and meeting new people I'd like to work with. It seems like the era of the gigging artist is coming to an end. The people I believe will be the most successfull will be as good at the entrepreneurial side of the business as they are the creative. Another option is to expand your skillset into other areas. Didn't I see you running a SteadiCam in one of your Instagrams? :)
  5. Ola Haldor Voll

Message Count:
    Fateh, I'm in Trondheim. I guess it's just a matter of a short flight down to Göteborg. :) I'll send you an email.

Gabriele, you might be on to something. A client with a steady flow of commercials just moved to a new office and hired a few people, wonder if they're expanding their post production bit too.

Jason, that's true! My first go at video was with TV productions, mixers and what not. I happen to have a Glidecam rig for light cameras.
    Actually, my dad is still in the biz, though tough times there too. He's more into the TV production thing, while I'm into post. But that doesn't mean I can enjoy a good multicam production now and then. ;) I love finding out more about hardware and video mixers and live graphics!
  6. Slow times are also ideal for working on your reel and improving your technical skills. Those are times when you can experiment with grades in ways that clients usually won't allow you. My experience has been that having more variety to show prospective clients really pays off.
    It's also a good time to watch tons of films, go to museums and study art and color books, as well as get some specialized training. Having been a colorist for 13 years, I learn new things on a daily basis.

While there are lots of people trying to grade with free or affordable tools these days, they can't compete with experience and skills. So investing in those sets you even farther apart from the "competition".

While the democratization of tools may seem scary, at first, I've found that I've been getting a lot of work from producers who've had bad experiences with unskilled people messing up their footage in post. Once they work with a real pro, they never turn back.

Jason's advice that you use your other skills to make money, in the meantime, is great. I also shoot and I've met lots of grading clients on the set. Keep a reel with you all the time on your mobile phone or tablet and don't hesitate to show it around during shooting breaks.
  7. David McLaren

Message Count:
    Hey Ola first off its never easy in slow times, working in a smaller market their are natural slow periods,( the whole industry has nothing going on). My advice is use this time to approach new clients do some cool love jobs and wait it out. If you can keep your self busy even if you ain't getting paid heaps, it will help to hit the ground running. My last slow period I got enough booze from freebies to keep my self and my clients happy for six months. Also picked up some new clients that have become regulars. If you really are stressing though take out one of your best clients to lunch and find out what's going on.
    Tine Woren likes this.
  8. Ola Haldor Voll

Message Count:
    Thanks guys! A good amount of things to think about here.

I've actually been interested in 3D modeling and animation, and have had the tools almost a decade longer than I've done color grading. Maybe I should dig deeper into that. After all, ArchViz and VFX sounds fun!
  9. Jim Wicks

Message Count:
    Just a suggestion, but during slow times I educate myself about color grading or some other aspect of the business.
    Books, tutorials, etc. are readily available.
    The other thing I do are short projects for myself to stay on my game.
    To this end, I go back and try re-grading some of my previous projects.

Never sit still keep moving.

Best, J
  10. Jason Myres Moderator

Message Count:
    Any VFX / modeling technique you can add to your skill set will make you much more valuable as a colorist, and vice versa. The two worlds are extremely complimentary.
  11. Dimitrios Papagiannis

Message Count:
    Talk to fashion photographers in your area and see if they are shooting any video (they all want to be cinematographers now) and tell them about your coloring skills. Then take that stuff and go crazy with the experimentation. Otherwise we might not ever see anything new. C'mon Ola, we are all hoping you will discover the next big look.
  12. Margus Voll

Message Count:
    Interesting idea to travel a round in scandinavia for projects.

Something i really need to look in to soon :)
  13. Margus Voll

Message Count:
    All people here have already given you good ideas about personal skill set development.

Can not agree more. It is really good to know a lot about the fields we are affecting in one way or other.

I have started to learn for example how to lay lights in scenes as i can then advice some dop's or producers
    in color and contrast aspects as it may affect the result of the production a lot.

You have probably some filming experience under your belt as we see from flying etc.

I ordered myself BMCC to start some indy projects in sense that i can light, shoot, grade, and post with vfx stuff
    then i can offer my clients good combo projects when needed.

You already do some 3d stuff that also is good idea to incorporate.
    It has given me nice projects over the years.

In addition i do all titling 2d cg stuff and sound stuff also. It all helps to
    approach different projects and clients also. I have many of the projects coming in as lets say
    VO editing and dubbing but in e month or so i can sell them filming, grading, cgi etc.

It may seem to be a lot to get a hang of it but it is really good to have some understanding
    of fields that affect or are combined with the things we do daily.