Software for restoring old video

Juan Morales Jul 21, 2013

1. Hi everybody, I'm having a gig soon involving old video material from 1975 amongst other semi-professional material shot on a host of formats. The old video material (most of it are reel-to-reel Sony black & white PAL material) has a lot of banding and interference lines across the whole image. My question is: will PFClean do the job? I have seen some nice things on their website, but I wonder if there are other (more economic) solutions to solve these problems? The idea is also to process all material with a Teranex 2D to scale the PAL material to HD 1080 and final grading will be done in Davinci Resolve. Then probably a DCP and broadcast master as final delivery format.

Just to give you an idea, here's a still from the original material. And in case you're wondering "who's that?", it's the famous Dutch singer and painter Herman Brood who died a couple of years ago...

[​IMG]

2. Consider Image Systems Phoenix or a FilmMaster. Best restoration I know...

3. Hi Daniel, I bet that's a good system but I'm afraid that it's totally out of my budget. Doesn't anybody have a more budget conscious alternative here? PFClean isn't very cheap either, I know... How about using Neat Video? Will that do the trick?

4. Neat Video will remove noise, but not the tracking error bands.

5. So what programs can fix this that don't cost me an arm and a leg?

6. There is no easy way to fix this, was it the best transfer from tape they could do?

-Rob-

7. Perhaps the Furnace plugins...

8. Hi everybody,

The oldest tapes (the black and white ones) were transferred at a special Sony facility somewhere in France. The reels were baked (literally put in the oven) before being played back on an old player so those tapes are gone. Check out the clip below I found on YouTube to give you an idea what we are talking about here.

Other material is on U-Matic, VHS, Video8 and God knows what else. Please... somebody, help us out!

9. You will also probably need a good de-interlace filter as well.

10. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

Things like this always come down to the basic physics of good, fast, and cheap. Since you are demanding a good result, with no budget, is see a lot of frame-by-frame, paint out in your future.

11. You can download pf clean for a full blown 14 day trial I believe.

12. Nucoda, PFClean and MTI restoration tools are really good. They all offer automatic modes that will really help if you have to process a lot of footage, but then the restoration process can be really heavy and expensive. I've built several workflows and working currently on a pretty serious one. There's a lot of project management and quality control involved too as for most project you would need a full team working to deliver.