SUPER SATURATED Vivid high Contrast Look

John Saelee Sep 17, 2016

1. Hello folks. I've been trying to emulate this super saturated high contrast look for a very long time. I have tried over and over but not as great as the colorist i will show. This music video director always has this style of super saturated almost HDR look. If you look at the raw photo to the colored look, how would i be able to achieve such a thing? if you look at the graded scopes such as the parade and waveform, how did the colorist expand the reds, greens and blues so evenly. Even look at the waveform, he spreaded all the colors out from left to right. How would you achieve this in Davinci? Any help will be highly appreciated. If you guys know of any tutorials that can help, please attach a link. I have been paying for tutorials, but no success at achieving this look. wale uncolored scope and photo.jpg wale color graded scope and photo.jpg

2. use the sat-vs-sat and lum-vs-sat curves to saturate, with those you have more control over the saturation.

John Saelee and Marc Wielage like this.
  3. I also think there are several windows in that shot, and I would bet some very precise keys. But I also think the people have the benefit of more key and fill light from the front. It's hard to compensate for lack of enough light.

I would also expand the Vectorscope so you can better see what's going on.

John Saelee likes this.
  4. Thank you for your input! Seriously! I've been trying to figure out this look in DaVinci resolve for the longest!!!

5. Color boost in resolve will boost your low sat and leave high sat from going crazy. little of that, little of regular sat, then a bit of hue vs sat to keep the skins out of Trump-territory and you'd be in the ball park.

6. Thanks Juan! You always are so helpful on here. I've read hundreds of posts and you have always been so kind to share your advice. Thanks!

7. From there you'll need to do some hue vs hue to stylize a bit. And you should balance the shot first as well. With something this over the top I think it's pretty tough to get it wrong. Or rather that wrong is a very subjective state. :)

8. I would try make a nice primary balance, then have some or many parallel nodes after that.
    In each parallel node, key one 'color patch' out , then use sat/offset to add in color, to make the colors look like 'color patches'. Also add some contrast/pivot to boost the HDR local contrast look.
    The key should be nice and soft.
    The fun part is choosing what to key out and what colors to add in.
    And I won't use SAT control alone to boost saturation, instead use wheels. Even maybe some SAT-SAT curve to even out the saturation within a 'patch'.

9. The "original" and probably still the best way to add saturation in Resolve is to lower the luminance gain and raise the RGB gain to compensate. This is a much cleaner way of doing it than using a saturation control. Doing the opposite has always been a popular way of achieving a lowered saturation, and doing it a bit more extreme has always been a way to achieve a "bleach bypass" starting point.

Heiko Thies and Qiang Tang like this.
  10. Cheap, fast and dirty!

Marc Wielage likes this.

11. But usually effective ;)