Text overlays on dailies?

Joe Riggs Aug 8, 2016

1. Often on dailies on bigger budget projects, I'll see text overlays with running timecode, the camera file name, the slate info, etc.. Is this a feature of certain software (if so which ones?), that reads the metadata and automatically creates these text overlays?

2. Resolve and Clipster do that.

3. YEs almost all professional softwares have and option for Burnins

4. Colorfront Express Dailies is pretty good, and one thing that impressed me is that you can create multiple different viewing copies with different on-screen text as a batch process:

http://colorfront.com/index.php?page=SOFTWARE&spage=Express Dailies

It's true you can embed this same info with a more general program like Resolve, but it has to do one pass for each version and it's pretty slow. Colorfront is pretty slick, but is not cheap; I see it used frequently on serious Hollywood union shows.

5. You can do this in Resolve. Just create multiple outputs on deliver page and there should be a burn in preset for each. I'm not in front of Resolve right now but pretty sure we added this in v10 or v9.

6. Yes you can do it in Resolve, but it's one output at a time. Colorfront's software, as well as Assimilate Scratch, output all formats at once. The advantage is that they are decoding only once, and making all encodes simultaneously, cutting down on rendering time.

Express Dailies is not quite as flexible as Scratch in terms of metadata overlays. I'm told On-Set Dailies has better capabilities, but haven't had my hands on it yet. Colorfront's software is "the standard" on mid to high budget sets, from everyone I speak to.

Resolve is a good place to start, given the price. In my dailies creation, I started with Resolve, had one project bring me on to use nextLab (which is Fotokem's proprietary software), moved on to Scratch, and now am on the second show in a row using ExD. There are plusses and minuses to all of them, but if you are only creating one format, the speed differences between them are minimal assuming you are used to each.

7. This is not right. Resolve decodes one, and can encode to different formats in parallel, each with different burn-in. Please try out creating additional outputs in Deliver page, for each output you get to choose a render format and a burn-in preset. Resolve uses all your GPUs and CPUs to accelerate the decode, grade, sizing and the encodes. You get all this in the free version too, limited to 1 GPU of course, and 4K UHD res.

8. Hey Rohit--

I tried this out but you seem to lose the granularity of the settings when you create an additional output--for example if i had output 1 as a very specific MXF output, and then output 2 to be h264, how would i set the resolution and data rate of that h264? On my screen there seems to only be a drop down for codec, but nothing for controls within that codec.

Matt

9. The advantage of SCRATCH is, that you can have multiple different burn-ins in your output tree and connect various different encoders to each one.
    Next to that, it can process in the background and you can continue setting up new reels, etc. and add those to the processing queue.

Advantage of ExD is, that, although has less flexibility, has a much more streamline interface, allows you to get a bit faster from A to B and can output a couple more formats.
    OSD then again also allows you to add different burn-in nodes to your color pipeline and create multiple results from it, which you then can add to the render queue.

10. We use MTI Cortex and it's pretty powerful, I haven't used EXD too much yet but our colourists seem to prefer Cortex's colour tools and sync-wise I can fly through a hundred clips in half an hour or so, providing timecode's relatively close (there's always going to be drift).

Deliveries-wise typically we'll create a DNx36 for editorial with its own burn-in preset, DAX/PIX/MediaSilo/Critique/Wire Drive/online-review-tool-of-choice-h.264 with another burn-in, and maybe an .iso to burn a DVD. All render in the background automatically and you can spread them across boxes, I usually have each show rendering on 3+ stations in a mini render farm kind of setup.

Mike was up here setting up a new system a couple weeks ago but I missed him, and it wasn't my show so I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it.

Ryan Nguyen likes this.